Monday, January 11, 2010

The Scene....

So I have started to put myself out there in the scene and surround myself with a healthy number of musicians, not only have I met some really cool people, but I am learning a LOT about the industry, and who you need to know to get in. The biz out here you need to know someone, there is a clique of about 10 bands that play the "circuit" and outside of that, most other bands struggle to get a gig in here and there... now, how do I get into one of those bands....

Answer - Perform. Network. Shake hands. and last but not least - be able to play. I find that networking will get you your gigs, if you look hard enough, the gigs are there. But - if you get up on stage and don't deliver... you can kiss performing in that bar again goodbye. I played with my old band a birthday party at a local club (a pretty big one for bands) and it was my 3rd rehearsal with the band. The drummer was 1.5 set's late, the former lead guitarist jumped into the bass, the bassist jumped on drums, and I was a fish outta water on lead guitar with 3 sets, that I didn't have any real clue on, needless to say, we have never had a returned call from them. There was NO way that we should have ever gotten on that stage in the first place, but we did, and have been paying for it since.

I have started to network with other musicians as of late, and am learning different styles of playing, and am really digging the different views that people take on the same songs. I love covering old blues and twisting it to my style, or to whomever I am jamming with that night.

I know this post is kind of rambling on, and a little skattered, but that is where I am at right now... I need to find my place musically in the "scene"

I'm out.

guitarsmark

No comments:

Post a Comment